Psychotherapy for Overland Park & Kansas City
Through psychotherapy, I’ll help you develop skills to manage difficult emotions and negative thought patterns to increase resilience and work through challenging times.
If you struggle with anxiety and depression that seems to last for weeks, months, or even years and impedes your ability to lead a fulfilling life, you may benefit from psychotherapy at Gaughan Psychological Services in Overland Park and serving the greater Kansas City metro.
Who Benefits from Psychotherapy?
If you’re not sure that psychotherapy is the right option for you, consider your answers to the following questions. Have you ever:
- felt that anxiety, stress, or depression was disrupting your life and getting in the way of happiness?
- felt hopeless and unable to make a change?
- struggled with anger, resentment, or other intense emotions?
- noticed that your emotions were negatively affecting you and your relationships?
- struggled for years with the same issue or problem without relief?
- found yourself unable to overcome unhealthy thoughts and behaviors?
- been concerned about your alcohol or drug use or had your loved ones express unease about these things?
- felt overwhelmed or burdened by events or people in your life?
If any of these issues is troubling you, psychotherapy can help you achieve mental peace knowing you can handle whatever life throws at you.
My Approach to Psychotherapy
People sometimes think that therapy is just sitting on a couch and talking about their problems, and they question how that can actually help. Working with me involves a much more active and structured take on therapy designed to help you understand the causes of your problems and what you can do to fix them.
Specifically, I use a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) approach, which has been shown through scientific studies to be an effective treatment for anxiety, depression, and co-occurring issues. CBT focuses primarily on resolving current problems by identifying and modifying the thought, emotion, and behavior patterns that contribute to their development and maintenance. This approach is collaborative and designed to help you understand the nature of your difficulties, so you can more effectively pursue the life you desire with the resilience to effectively manage disruptive emotions like depression and anxiety.
Schedule Your Introductory Session
If you’re interested in learning more about Gaughan Psychological Services or what it’s like to work with me, please get in touch. We’ll get started with a short, complimentary consultation over the phone. This session gives you the opportunity to ask questions and discuss your psychotherapy solutions before your first full session. It’s a great first step toward investing in your long-term goals.