Psychotherapy for Overland Park & Kansas City
Through psychotherapy, I’ll help you develop skills to manage difficult emotions and negative thought patterns to increase resilience and work through challenging times.
If you struggle with anxiety and depression that seems to last for weeks, months, or even years and impedes your ability to lead a fulfilling life, you may benefit from psychotherapy at Gaughan Psychological Services in Overland Park and serving the greater Kansas City metro.
Who Benefits from Psychotherapy?
If you’re not sure that psychotherapy is the right option for you, consider your answers to the following questions. Have you ever:
- felt that anxiety, stress, or depression was disrupting your life and getting in the way of happiness?
- felt hopeless and unable to make a change?
- struggled with anger, resentment, or other intense emotions?
- noticed that your emotions were negatively affecting you and your relationships?
- struggled for years with the same issue or problem without relief?
- found yourself unable to overcome unhealthy thoughts and behaviors?
- been concerned about your alcohol or drug use or had your loved ones express unease about these things?
- felt overwhelmed or burdened by events or people in your life?
If any of these issues is troubling you, psychotherapy can help you achieve mental peace knowing you can handle whatever life throws at you.
My Approach to Psychotherapy
People sometimes think that therapy is just sitting on a couch and talking about their problems, and they question how that can actually help. Working with me involves a much more active and structured take on therapy designed to help you understand the causes of your problems and what you can do to fix them.
Specifically, I use a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) approach, which has been shown through scientific studies to be an effective treatment for anxiety, depression, and co-occurring issues. CBT focuses primarily on resolving current problems by identifying and modifying the thought, emotion, and behavior patterns that contribute to their development and maintenance. This approach is collaborative and designed to help you understand the nature of your difficulties, so you can more effectively pursue the life you desire with the resilience to effectively manage disruptive emotions like depression and anxiety.
Schedule Your Introductory Session
If you’re interested in learning more about Gaughan Psychological Services or what it’s like to work with me, please get in touch. We’ll get started with a short, complimentary consultation over the phone. This session gives you the opportunity to ask questions and discuss your psychotherapy solutions before your first full session. It’s a great first step toward investing in your long-term goals.
Getting Started with Psychotherapy
I do my utmost to make the intake process simple and stress free. When you contact Gaughan Psychological Services, we’ll begin the psychotherapy process with a complimentary phone consultation to discuss the issues you are seeking help with, questions you may have about the practice, and whether we might be a good fit to begin work together.
To schedule the initial consultation:
- Please call (913) 562-9588 or email me at email@example.com
- Leave your name, phone number, and a few good times to reach you that you’ll have enough privacy to briefly discuss the issues you hope to work on in therapy.
- I will return your call, typically within 24 hours unless you have specified another time, to conduct the free brief consultation that lasts about 10 minutes.
Fees & Payment
Payment may be made by debit/credit card, HSA/FSA card, check, or cash and is collected at the time of service.
If the price of treatment is the only thing getting in the way of starting work with me, I invite you to contact me. There are options available to help those with need to fit the cost of psychotherapy into their budgets. It is my goal to offer as much flexibility and accessibility as possible to ensure those who would benefit from psychotherapy can work with me.
Additionally, I encourage individuals to think of psychotherapy as a short-term investment in long-term happiness. Therapy involves a significant commitment of time and money but also gives you the tools to achieve relief that lasts. My goal with every client is to help them to become their own therapist, so they can effectively manage their anxiety or depression on their own.
Individual Psychotherapy Session
45 minutes: $175
Sessions will typically be scheduled for 45 minutes. Occasionally, we may decide to continue with a session beyond your 45 minute appointment, rather than stop or postpone work on a particular issue. Extended sessions will generally be charged on a prorated basis in 15-minute increments.
I am considered an “out-of-network” provider, and I don’t participate in any insurance plans. Although I don’t accept insurance as a form of payment, many insurance plans will reimburse their members a percentage of out-of-pocket expenses after a deductible is met, and you may be able to seek reimbursement from your insurance company for your treatment depending on your coverage.
Through my patient portal, you can access and download a billing statement for your sessions that includes all the information necessary to submit a claim to your insurer to apply for reimbursement. You will then be reimbursed directly by your insurance company based on the terms of your policy.
Please keep in mind that if you choose to utilize your insurance, a psychiatric diagnosis is typically required for reimbursement.
If you plan to independently file claims for reimbursement, I recommend you contact your insurance company to better understand your benefits and reimbursement procedures. You can start by asking:
- Do I have out-of-network behavioral health benefits to see a psychologist?
- If so, what is the coverage amount per therapy session?
- Do I have a deductible for mental health benefits (a deductible is a set amount that you must pay before your insurance company begins providing benefits)?
- If so, how much of the deductible have I met?
- How many therapy sessions are covered, and for what time period?
- How do I submit requests for reimbursement?
For Medicare Beneficiaries: Please note that Gaughan Psychological Services is not a covered provider under Medicare. Medicare-eligible patients may not seek reimbursement from Medicare or their supplemental coverage for services provided.
Notice of Privacy Practices
The Notice of Privacy Practices provides information about your rights and protections related to the use and disclosure of your identifiable health care information. You can download and read the Notice of Privacy Practices below. Since you will complete all necessary forms, including the Notice of Privacy Practices, using the patient portal, there is no need to print and complete this document unless you would like to do so for your own records.